Sunday, January 22, 2012

Arriving in London

I've been in London for five days and I think I've gotten over my jet lag and settled in nicely. The staff here has done a wonderful job making the transition easy and fun. Whether it's free meals, seminars about safety and travel in the area, or a panoramic bus tour to show us all the area has to offer, NYU in London has helped us seamlessly integrate to our new surroundings.

Speaking of new surroundings, my dorm room is absolutely beautiful. My roommate Leanne and I live in a double with two other suite mates. We all share a bathroom and a beautiful kitchen. Here are some pictures of our room.

Our kitchen: Fully equipped with appliances and dinnerware!

Our bedroom: Huge, right? We each have a wardrobe, a desk, and a bed.

Wednesday was mostly a moving in day. The only event they had was a walking tour of the area, which Leanne and I decided to take advantage of. We learned where there was a tube station, a supermarket, and a small shopping area that included a cinema. Later that evening, my dorm (Byron Court) had a pizza/movie night. It was a great opportunity to meet other people in my dorm. I made some new friends and we all watched Love Actually in the TV room.

Thursday and Friday were a mix of orientations and social events. We learned all about our programs, our housing, and the area. Thursday night there was a Pub Quiz at the University of London Union (ULU), a place where all students studying in London can come to relax, eat, and take part in clubs/societies. The Pub Quiz focused on UK trivia and so the best score was far from perfect. However, we all had fun guessing and learning more about the country we'll be living in for the next four months.

ULU is directly across from the theatre entrance of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts (RADA), the studio in which I'll be studying acting this term. My friends and I couldn't help taking pictures by the front door. Here is one of me.


Friday and Saturday night my friends and I decided to explore the local night life. Friday night we went out to a gay club called Heaven. We all had a great time. There were two floors: the first one featured music from the 70's, 80's, and 90's and the second one featured more contemporary music. On both floors there were laser shows and platforms in the middle of the floor that we climbed upon and danced overlooking the whole dance floor. It was wonderful to take part in the London nightlife community. We met many Londoners and all were friendly and interested to learn about where we were from and what brought us to London.

Saturday night we went to a pub called The Big Chill House that had a large dance floor and a DJ who played contemporary dance music. We had a great time dancing and celebrating the last weekend before school starts on Monday. I felt so blessed to have made such great friends so quickly.

Today we went on a panoramic bus tour of London. We drove all over the city, feasting our eyes on all the impressive landmarks the city has to offer. Our very patriotic tour guide loved boasting about the beautiful buildings and impressive history that London enjoys. Seeing all the wonderful sights, I grew impatient to start exploring this gorgeous city. I am struck by how old the city's buildings are, how rich the city's history is, how deep its roots grow. I cannot wait to discover all it has to offer.

I will leave you with some pictures taken on the panoramic bus tour. Unfortunately, I left my camera's USB cable at home, so these pictures have been graciously donated by my roommate Leanne, who helped me out while I'm waiting for the cable to ship. Enjoy!

Buckingham Palace

Tower Bridge

Westminster Abbey

A beautiful view of Parliament backlit by the sunset.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful city!! I'm so glad you're having a wonderful time and embracing such an amazing opportunity. I can't wait to read your other posts. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete